Zerk Zone

Pages for the Creations of Ryan Armstrong

Dungeon Mapper 0.2.1 alpha

Posted on January 10th, 2010 @ 8:59 pm by Zerker

DungeonMapper screenshot

So I’ve been playing a bit of Arcana lately on the SNES, and due to the inadequacies of the built-in automap, I’ve been trying to keep my own map. Unfortunately, the “best” solution I’ve found so far is still grid paper; Dungeon Crawl Map Maker without the Bullshit is pretty close, but it’s far too slow and fidgety with the current mouse interface.

So I’ve decided to start writing something myself. The goal of this program is to be fast, precise and keyboard-driven. The idea is to simply move a cursor around the map and quickly draw walls & floors without constantly switching and clicking all over the place. This is a preview version to get people’s opinions on the idea and control scheme, etc.

Here is how I’ve mocked it up so far:

Also, due to the use of S as a functional key, the save/load keys have been remapped to the F-keys. The dungeon size is now variable (choose the size when you select “New”), and files can be saved or loaded as .dungeon files. Since it is keyboard based, the dungeon will scroll when you move the cursor to the edge of the screen since I had problems with the OS-based scrolling. Note when drawing, you can hold down the “draw” buttons and move the cursor with the arrows to quickly block in an area/create a corridor, etc.

Here’s the download: DungeonMapper-0.2.1a.zip (200 KB)

It’s Java-based, so you’ll need to install that first. Once that’s done, you should be able to un-zip it somewhere and double-click on “DungenMapper.jar”. If that doesn’t work try opening a command-prompt and running “java -jar DungeonMapper.jar”.

Since I’ve essentially stalled development on this, here is the GPLd source code for the tool with a Netbeans project file. If you prefer a different IDE, it is left as an exercise to the developer to repackage accordingly.

Source Download: DungeonMapper-src.tar.gz (51 KB)

Comments (20)

Filed under: Java,Programs/Libraries |

20 Comments »

1. […] updated the original Dungeon Mapper post with an updated version of the tool. Major improvements […]

Pingback by Zerk Zone » Dungeon Mapper Updated — January 17, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

2. Can’t get this to run on Mac OS 10.5.8. Java is updated to current, but just starts and stops.

Comment by Mike — February 26, 2010 @ 1:28 am

3. Oops, I must have uploaded a bad build (some of the images didn’t get packaged into the JAR file somehow). I have fixed the situation and re-uploaded; try now.

Comment by Zerker — February 27, 2010 @ 8:47 am

4. THANK you. This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Just started playing Might&Magic again, and I cannot find ANYTHING online as a mapping tool. And I’m … not good with graph paper.

Comment by XyzzySqrl — June 7, 2011 @ 5:39 am

5. This is magnificently helpful! I’m playing through Shining in the Darkness on Sega Genesis, and since the game offers no regular map function, this is helping immensely. I’ve gotten the graphics to glitch up on me a couple of times, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it reliably…regardless though, excellent job, and I hope this program becomes more widespread!

Comment by wildweasel — November 2, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

6. For Arcana dungeon maps check the bottom of this thing:
    As much as this makes me think of Might and Magic I’m thinking of Wizardry too.

Comment by Trop — November 3, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

7. Thank you for this program, it’s pretty much exactly what I needed. Especially for making it Java based so I can use it across different platforms.

Comment by JWinters — November 7, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

8. THANKS! I’m playing Wizardy 6 and this seems just what I need. Only problem I see so far is that there doesn’t seem to be a way to store notes for a particular square.

Comment by John — November 16, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

9. Hi! This is indeed a very useful application. But given that you don’t seem to be updating it anymore, would you be willing to put it under a Free Software license so that other people can try improving it? There are a few things that I might want to add if I find the time. Just send me a mail if you’re interested.

Comment by Jan — January 9, 2012 @ 12:54 am

10. This is pretty awesome I was planning on playing Phantasy Star again, but since the game doesn’t have a map feature. My plans was to use graph in paint. But I wanted something similar to Etrian Odyssey and this looks pretty close so Thanks :)

/Atton

Comment by Atton — August 15, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

11. Is there any chance you might update this program?

The one feature I would REALLY like is to be able to erase an item by holding down the Shift key while using the various keys. For example, Shift-W would erase the wall on the top of a block, Shift-X would erase a glyph, etc. While this is a very useful program, it can get kind of tedious having to move the selection all the way to the left just to erase one thing, and then move it back to what you were using. Pressing the Shift key would temporarily select the rightmost options for walls, floors and glyphs, so that you could easily erase any part of the map. When released, the previous selection would be restored.

Comment by Rekrul — September 19, 2012 @ 3:47 am

12. I’m actually working on something else at the moment, so it’s unlikely I’d get to it for a while. I did open source the app, however. You can try adding the feature yourself, or ping Jan if he wants to do any edits. He uploaded the source code to https://github.com/majutsushi/dungeonmapper, and can be contacted there.

Comment by Zerker — September 21, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

13. This is pretty fantastic, though I wonder what will happen to my data over time. I suppose the format is quite simple, and the program is unlikely to break.

I’m looking at this mostly because I don’t trust Excel over time either.

I suppose this is easier to render to png or similar. It’s also got ALL the right glyphs.

Comment by J Rodman — December 3, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

14. BTW, I’d gladly put $100 in a kitty for this program if you care to take donations. Not that it really compensates, but maybe it’s a thank you or happens to reinvigorate interest.

My personal wishlist (a team of developers who have all been hypnotized to do my bidding) would be

* Can adjust dungeon size / depth (you don’t always know how big these dungeons are going to be)
    * Some very basic form of copy-paste, typically used for dealing with mapping errors.
    * Infinite undo.
    * Can export to some vector or vector-equivalent format (SVG, probably)

Of these, undo is the most fun to write, if you haven’t done it before, while size adjustment is probably not too painful if you take a brutal approach (crop everything) which would work fine, really.

I’m a bit Java allergic, but perhaps I’ll take a peek.

Comment by J Rodman — December 3, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

15. You are awesome! I love this app. LOVE IT!

Comment by BenF — December 11, 2012 @ 2:25 am

16. Thanks much for this. Like others, I’ve had trouble mapping old games on modern software and tend to lose my graph paper maps. I’ve decided that I’d like a couple of new features, tho, so I’ve picked up the source code and I’ll see how far I get.

Comment by BradB — May 4, 2017 @ 10:12 am

17. So I know traffic here is nil, but just in case anyone is still watching, here’s a list of features I’ve added. If people are interested I’ll clean things up a little and post it somewhere. I have a list of other things I may add if I feel interested, but this is the stuff I personally wanted most.

– Holding Shift now acts as an “erase” modifier key. Pressing SHIFT+W will erase the wall at the top of the current cell, etc.
    – NumPad 2,4,6,8 can be used for cell navigation.
    – NumPad 7,9 can be used for floor type selection, as R,V respectively.
    – Made the “visited” floor tile darker (I was having trouble seeing where I’d been).
    – Added invisible walls (gray).
    – Dungeon floor titles (instead of file title). Hit ‘N’ to name the floor.

Comment by BradB — May 7, 2017 @ 12:38 am

18. Brad, where is the updated version you mentioned?

Comment by Logan — December 14, 2017 @ 1:09 pm

19. Ahh, this is neat! Was looking for a thing to help me do some maps for Reddit Emblem, and this comes out nicely! Thanks!

Comment by artemi — February 11, 2018 @ 10:16 am

20. I would also like to see the updated version. It looks like the latest files you have on this site are from 2012.

Comment by 68kmentat — June 15, 2018 @ 11:28 am